26 July 2007

Lorenzo moves up to MotoGP next year


(*Above: the smugnificently pompous Jorge Lorenzo)

I have to say that I'm actually kinda sad that the hilariously self-satisfied (though I will admit, hugely gifted) Jorge Lorenzo is moving up to the top class of MotoGP next year to race for Yamaha on a factory-supported YZR-M1.
I'd really wanted him to stop long enough in 250 for Alvaro to totally whip his butt; and even though Bati's debut 250 season has been little short of epic so far, it's not something he'll really do this year.
We did of course have that brilliant win - and brilliant last lap move - at Mugello, but I'd have loved to see a longer term full-on rivalry develop, as Alvaro is pretty much the anti-Lorenzo in terms of outlook and personality; and a very pleasant change I must say ;)

Ah well, it'll be nice to see Bati take him on once he moves up too...

4 comments:

abc said...

Ha, Alvaro is the "Anti-Lorenzo"... ;) I have to remember that, it's kinda true also. :D

Well, I think that it was pretty obvious already from the beginning of the season that Lorenzo will move up a class. As far as I know they already wanted him there last year, but he decided to get *cough*anothertitle*cough* first and of course the money probably was an issue, too.
Personally, I'm not that sad about it yet, it just means I don't have to watch his antics anymore for at least a year when I just want to watch Alvaro... ;)

But I think Alvaro has still time enough to "whip his butt" as you put it in the MotoGP class. In case Alvaro gets a good bike there (and I suppose that he will) he'll probably be pretty good there also from the beginning.

So, let's just wait another year for the big battle and let us have our well-deserved JLo-break. ;)

gb said...

His antics annoy the hell out of me - that's why I made up the word "smugnificent" - just seems to sum up his end-of-race attitude.
It's the opposite of "adorkable" bascially :)

abc said...

okay, this might be a little offbeat and my comment is about a year later, but i just found this pic through google and wondered "why would gb post a pic of jlo on the blog?", so i had to come look and be remembered.
but suddenly something very odd struck me about the picture.
you know, i'm from germany (oh really? - yes, indeed!) and i know this was not intended by him, but what do we see in the pic? - a black/white/red flag stuck in the ground, his serious/self-satisfied face and both arms raised in that weird way...

i don't want to suggest anything, but i just looked at the pic and was like "wtf?". too much history in the back of my mind i guess. :/

gb said...

heehee - yeah, it's a very strange concept isn't it... kind of distasteful in a way.
i think it's the fact that he's such an absurd and vain character that stopped it getting too creepy so it just stayed more in the "unintentionally camp" area ;)